WFMW - Read More
When I was in high school and then college, I was an avid reader...now with 2 kiddos, not so much. I always *want* to read more, but never seem to "find" the time...ahem. Recently it occurred to me that one of my biggest problems is getting started. The book I want to read is on a bookshelf in my room, or in the office, or stuck in a tote bag who knows where...so after some thought, I've come up with 2 strategies that are helping me read more.
1. Get some accountability - I joined the SimpleMom book club that meets on Thursdays, and while I've been a sporadic "attender" thus far, every Thursday I think more about reading. I hope to get better about reading along with the club, but just increasing my reading awareness has helped me read more so far this year. I'm sure a local book club would be even more motivating.
2. Keep good reading material at hand - I've come up with a few ways that I accomplish this.
- When the whole family leaves to run errands, I stick a book in my purse in case Brad ends up on the phone for an extended period of time (can you tell that's happened before?) :)
- Keep a book in the bathroom - it's cliche, I know - but it does work. Even if I only read a page here or there, I am making progress. And it doesn't have to be the bathroom...wherever you find yourself with some empty time...could be the carpool line, dance lessons, little league games - look for time that you would normally waste & fill it with a good book.
- Find books that truly are interesting and pertinent to where you are in life. For me right now, it's been parenting books. I've devoured Everyday Talk by John Younts and Shepherding a Child's Heart by Tedd Tripp. They have been extremely practical as Walker is in the midst of the "terrible twos" that by all accounts haven't been that terrible. I think it's largely in part to some of the parenting strategies we've learned from these 2 books.
This year as a New Year's goal, I set out to read 18 books in 2009. Unfortunately I have only finished 3 thus far, however I am working on a few more as we speak...I do know, however, that had I not come up with these simple strategies, I'd probably not even have 3 under my belt.
How about you - how do you fit reading into your daily schedule?